Match report: Coventry City 2 Doncaster Rovers 2

Harry Middleton puts in a challenge on Jim O'Brien
Harry Middleton puts in a challenge on Jim O'Brien

A Nathan Tyson brace saw Rovers twice come from behind to earn a deserved draw at table-topping Coventry City.

Goals from hot shot Adam Armstrong and John Flect had twice put the Sky Blues ahead in horrendous conditions at the Ricoh Arena.

Conor Grant is challenged by Romain Vincelot

Conor Grant is challenged by Romain Vincelot

But Tyson - buoyed by his first goal of the season in midweek - twice showed a poacher's instinct to pounce and equalise on two occasions.

Rovers had the best of the early chances when Craig Alcock's superb cross from deep found Nathan Tyson who could only head over the bar.

Coventry kept possession superbly, building slowly from the back in the early stages.

But they were restricted to half chances. John Fleck fired wide from the edge of the box while Jacob Murphy caused problems on the left.

Adam Armstrong celebrates putting Coventry in front

Adam Armstrong celebrates putting Coventry in front

The finest save of the first half came from home keeper Reice Charles-Cook who tipped over acrobatically following a stunning strike from Harry Middleton, all of 25 yards out.

Rovers began to see more of the ball themselves and were patient in possession.

But they suffered a blow when Felipe Mattioni was forced off with what appeared to be a calf problem. Luke McCullough replaced him, dropping into the back three with Craig Alcock moving to wing back.

Coventry were somewhat fortunate to go in front on the half hour mark after a particularly even passage of play where neither keeper was really tested.

Full back Sam Ricketts marched forward and drilled a shot from 25 yards. Luke McCullough blocked but the ball fell to Armstrong who took a touch and hit a rather tame effort beyond Thorsten Stuckmann.

Coventry had their tails up immediately after the goal and forced Rovers firmly on the back foot. A super defence-splitting pass from Jim O'Brien released Armstrong but his attempt to lob Stuckmann saw the ball drop on the top of the net.

Stuckmann's first real save of the game came late in the half when he got down well to keep out Fleck who took advantage of hesitation from James Coppinger on the edge of his own box.

Rovers did have a shout for a penalty late in the half when Conor Grant was nudged in the back but referee Lee Swabey pointed merely for a corner.

Coventry looked to keep hold of the ball in the early stages of the second half but Rovers would take their chance when it came on 52 minutes.

Rovers broke with Williams smashing a shot to the near post. Charles-Cook dropped to collect but the ball scuffed up allowing Tyson in to turn home from close range.

A goalkeeping mistake at the other end looked to have undone Rovers' efforts to get back into the game as Coventry went back in front seven minutes later.

A corner was cleared out only as far as Fleck who smashed a low shot which Stuckmann got a hand to only to see it scuff in off the post.

Buoyed by their second chance, Coventry went in search of the goal that would put the game to bed. Aaron Taylor-Sinclair showed superb awareness to cut out a pass across the box which would have presented Ryan Kent with an open goal.

And O'Brien saw a curling effort drift just wide of the post.

But just as Coventry looked as though they were taking control, Rovers levelled with a goal from nothing.

A defensive error left the ball free in an unmanned box with Tyson darting in and slamming under Charles-Cook on the angle.

Williams twice had opportunities to win it for Rovers. First he could only scuff a free header wide from a Cedric Evina cross. Then his touch was poor from a zipping Alcock pass with the ball scuffing up into Charles-Cook's hands.

Tyson was inches away from winning it for Rovers - and securing a hat trick in the process. He turned smartly on the edge of the area and attempted a chip over Charles-Cook which came back off the bar.

Both sides struggled to find an opening in the dying moments ensuring a just draw and a notable point for Rovers.

Coventry City: Charles-Cook, Ricketts, Martin, Turner, Stokes, Vincelot, Fleck, O'Brien, Murphy, Kent, Armstrong. Subs not used: Burge, Phillips, Haynes, Lameiras, Bigirimana, Tudgay, Fortune.

Doncaster Rovers: Stuckmann, Alcock, Butler, Taylor-Sinclair, Mattioni (McCullough 25), Coppinger, Middleton, Grant, Evina, Williams (Stewart 85), Tyson. Subs not used: Marosi, MacKenzie, Whitehouse, Forrester, J McKay.

Referee: Lee Swabey (Devon)

Attendance: 11,885