Match Report: Burnley 2 Doncaster Rovers 0

Billy Sharp attempts to make progress for Rovers
Billy Sharp attempts to make progress for Rovers

And so a trip to the Championship’s most imposing home team proved a game too far for the resurgent Rovers.

A questionable Sam Vokes penalty and a neat finish from Junior Stanilas secured a comfortable win for dominant Burnley, who never looked like losing their unbeaten home status.

Barring a decent 10 minute spell midway through the first half, Rovers looked rather sluggish, missing some of the vim and vigour that brought 10 points from their previous four games. There remained plenty of the defensive resolution showed during their recent turnaround as they were faced with waves of pressure from their high-flying hosts.

And for the first half at least, despite a few nervy moments, they looked capable of standing up to the Burnley battering ram.

Burnley pressed high up the field from the off while composed possession saw a number of searching advances into the final third.

A Scott Arfield piledriver from 30 yards was the best they could muster however from a strong opening period.

Rovers coped well and began to force their way into the contest.

Chris Brown met a searching Mark Duffy cross and flicked a header just wide which proved to be their best chance of the whole contest.

But the hosts roared back and were in full control for the remainder of the game.

Passes were incisive, particularly into the feat of the powerful Vokes while Burnley were quicker to second balls, rarely providing Rovers with time to breathe.

As a result, Rovers’ men began to look nervy, producing poor clearances and ensuring the pressure rarely abated. They did manage to mainly restrict the Clarets to efforts from outside the box but were still indebted to Sam Johnstone for the fact they went into the break level.

It was a day where the number 21 was prevalent.

Johnstone looked set to be on course for a 21st birthday to remember as he produced a string of excellent reaction saves to deny Burnley. But when it was done, it was Vokes celebrating such a figure as he netted his 21st goal of the season from the spot.

Plenty were scratching their heads when referee Tony Harrington gave a penalty after an apparent push from James Coppinger on Ashley Barnes.

There was no confusion shown by Vokes as he smashed into the top corner for his 21st of the season. Johnstone continued his strong personal performance, denying Stanislas with a stunning one-handed stop midway through the half.

Burnley’s second came through a ruthless break on 75 minutes, capped with the most simple of finishes for Stanislas.

Barnes galloped forward, passed to Jones who sent a simple through ball that left Stanislas with plenty of time to slot past Johnstone and make sure of the win. Rovers threatened rarely though David Cotterill did rattle the bar with a free kick from the edge of the area while Brown drilled a half volley at Tom Heaton.

burnley: Heaton, Baird, Duff, Shackell, Mee, Arfield, Marney, Jones, Stanislas (Kightly 87), Barnes (Treacy 90), Vokes. Subs not used: Cisak, Long, Lafferty, Edgar, Wallace

Rovers: Johnstone, Coppinger, Quinn, Meite, Husband, Cotterill, Keegan (Furman 82), Wellens, Duffy (Robinson 70), Brown, Sharp. Subs not used: Turnbull, Stevens, McCullough, De Val, Ferguson.*

Goals: Vokes 47 pen, Stanislas 75.

Bookings: Marney (Burnley), Meite, Duffy.

Referee: Tony Harrington (Cleveland)

Attendance: 12,325