Final score: Doncaster Rovers 0-0 Crawley Town

Doncaster Rovers' Kyle Bennett on the attack against Crawley Town.
Doncaster Rovers' Kyle Bennett on the attack against Crawley Town.

Doncaster Rovers boss Paul Dickov had to settle for a point tonight as he celebrated his 200th game in charge as a football manager.

Rovers’ home woes continue, and they have now only picked up two points from a possible nine at home in this season’s League One campaign, and have failed to win at the Keepmoat Stadium since last May.

Doncaster Rovers' James Coppinger on the attack against Crawley Town.

Doncaster Rovers' James Coppinger on the attack against Crawley Town.

Doncaster were without the injured Rob Jones and suspended Harry Forrester who was serving a ban after he was shown a red card in Saturday’s 3-0 defeat to Bristol City.

The home side fancied their chances against a Crawley side who had not won on the road since their 1-0 victory over Barnsley earlier last month.

But the travelling fans hoped to see a repeat of last year’s visit to the Keepmoat where Crawley claimed a 1-0 victory thanks to a Nicky Ajose goal.

Doncaster enjoyed a good spell of possession in the first half but failed to make it count with their final pass.

The best chance of the half fell to the away team who almost took the lead through Ryan Dickinson, who’s headed attempt had Jed Steer beaten, but fell the wrong side of the post.

Theo Robinson tried his luck with a shot from 15 yards, but Ashdown managed a comfortable save.

The home side came out in the second half playing with confidence, and looked especially strong down the wings through Robinson and Kyle Bennet, but failed to provide that killer ball for the Donny forwards.

Wellens and Coppinger linked up well in midfield, and as Wellens delivered a superb cross into the box there were calls for handball from home side.

But referee Eddie Ilderton waved away the protests as the home crowd felt they certainly deserved a penalty.

Crawleys’ McLeod tried his luck from the edge of the box, but had to settle for a corner as it deflected wide from a challenge by McCombe.

Another opportunity went begging for Crawley as Bobson Bawling’s left footed shot from a difficult angle on the left was saved in the bottom right corner by Steer.

Bennett showed great determination going forward and almost reaped the benefits of his endless running when his right footed shot from outside the box came inches from hitting the top right corner of the net.

With ten minutes remaining Rovers continued to push on as they searched for the opening goal.

Coppinger tried his luck with a right footed shot from distance, but again Ashdown saved comfortably to deny Rovers yet again.

with full time fast approaching Robinson was denied twice by the Crawley defense. He came agonizingly close to grabbing a late winner, only to see his effort cleared off the line.

His second effort was saved by the brilliant Ashdown who seemed to save everything that was thrown at him throughout the 90 minutes.

Dickov will feel frustrated that his side failed to find the net as they only hit the target four times from 18 shots.

Rovers have another chance this Saturday to find that elusive home win when they welcome local rivals Chesterfield to the Keepmoat.


Doncaster Rovers: Jed Steer, Cedric Evina, Reece Wabara, Jamie McCombe, Luke McCullough, Richie Wellens, Paul Keegan, Kyle Bennet, James Coppinger, Theo Robinson, Nathan Tyson.

Crawley Town: Jamie Ashdown, Ryan Dickson, Dean Leacock, Jimmy Smith, Izale McLeod, Josh Wright, Joe Walsh, Keith Keane, Bobson Bawling, Gavin Tomlin, Mat Sadler.

Referee: E.Ilderton

Assistants: T. Bramall, N. Greenhalgh

Fourth Official: N. Gibbons.