Doncaster Rovers 3-0 Charlton Athletic FT

Doncaster Rovers' Billy Sharp in action against Charlton.
Doncaster Rovers' Billy Sharp in action against Charlton.

Doncaster Rovers romped to a comfortable win against ten man Charlton at the Keepmoat.

An Abdoulaye Meite tap-in and a Chris Brown penalty saw Rovers make their first half dominance count against their fellow strugglers.

Charlton saw full back Lawrie Wilson sent off for bringing down Billy Sharp for the penalty which Brown confidently thrashed home.

Mark Duffy’s effort from distance sealed the points.

Sharp has been handed his home re-debut for Rovers as Paul Dickov keeps faith with the same side that drew 1-1 at Blackpool on Saturday.

Addicks boss Chris Powell has made three changes to the side that knocked Huddersfield Town out of the FA Cup at the weekend.

Striker Yann Kermorgant comes in for Marvin Sordell while Jordan Cousins and Harry Lennon replace Callum Harriott and Astrit Ajdatevic who both drop to the bench.

Midfielder Dale Stephens played despite being the subject of an alleged bid from Brighton and Hove Albion.

Rovers started the brighter over the first 15 minutes, finding plenty of success in wide areas.

A dangerous cross from James Coppinger searched out Billy Sharp on the edge of the six yard box but Charlton keeper Ben Alnwick confidently claimed the ball.

Coppinger looked to find a shooting position after dancing in the boss but lost control of the ball under pressure from Dorian Dervite while Sharp saw a shot blocked by Michael Morrison.

Deliveries from the flanks saw Rovers increase their threat.

Alnwick could only land a glancing punch on a Duffy corner while the Charlton keeper got his fingertips to a Tamas cross with Chris Brown lurking at the back post.

Somehow Rovers conspired to miss a glorious chance on 25 minutes.

A brilliant James Husband free kick was knocked back by Bongani Khumalo, Sharp swiped onto the post from close range and the ball was hacked clear.

But Rovers did not have to wait long for their deserved lead less than a minute later.

Duffy drilled the ball low from byline, Alnwick parried and Meite pounced to turn the ball home from a yard.

The balance tipped further in Rovers’ favour on 36 minutes.

A neat back heel from Brown sent Sharp scurrying into the area, full back Lawrie Wilson panicked and dragged Sharp down.

Referee Paul Tierney pointed to the spot and showed Wilson the red card with Brown stepping up and confidently slamming the ball into the bottom corner to double the lead.

Rovers dominated possession in the early stages of the second half, producing long strings of passes to choruses of ‘oles’ from the delighted home support.

But their third goal came from an individual piece of quality from Duffy.

The winger danced into the area past a couple of challenges and lashed a shot past Alnwick.

Rovers: Turnbull, Tamas, Khumalo, Meite, Husband, Coppinger, Wellens, Keegan, Duffy, Brown, Sharp.

Subs: Maxted, Stevens, Quinn, Furman, Cotterill, De Val, Peterson.

Charlton: Alnwick, Wilson, Morrison, Dervite, Evina, Cousins, Jackson, Stephens, Lennon, Church, Kermorgant.

Subs: Thuram-Ulien, Green, Sordell, Harriott, Wood, Pigott, Ajdatevic.

Referee: Paul Tierney (Lancashire)

Attendance 7,289 of which 448 were away supporters

Read a full analysis in Wednesday’s Star