Crowle suffer at hands of the Queen

Crowle Keys 2

Queen Bess 4

KEYS have yet to find their feet in Division Two following their promotion last season.

Much the same could be said of their opponents on Sunday morning, Queen Bess whose transition from Division One to Two has been equally problematic. Both sides suffered huge defeats last week, having to pick the ball out of their nets 19 times between them so this game had a basement feel even this early in the season. Due to the appointed referee being indisposed the match was refereed by Keys’ chairman Gareth Parkin.

Queen Bess took an early lead when a shot rebounded from the bar straight to the head of a grateful forward who nodded it into an open goal.

The visitors doubled their lead with a near post tap-in ten minutes later but Crowle didn’t fold as they did last week and started to hold on to the ball in their opponenets’ half. Ten minutes before half-time Aaron Taylor, on the right wing, delivered the perfect cross to Callum Brears on the left hand edge of the box. Brears struck a crisp volley into the goal to the delight of his teammates and the consternation of the goalkeeper who had raised his hands in the ‘that’s going wide’ gesture. Brears had two more chances in the final few minutes of the half but put them both over the bar.

Just like the black pudding industry, football clubs are always on the look out for new blood.

Jamie Smyth had been having an impressive debut and drew the Keys level with a calm finish into the bottom corner. His brother Danny was being his usual industrious self with some clever link play with midfielders Joe Taylor and Jay Brears but it was the visitors who scored the next, and eventually deciding, goal. Their fourth, five minutes later, was the most disappointing of all when a cross evaded the whole defence on its way to a forward at the back post.

Crowle continued to press forward and forced a few corners and near misses but it was the away team who missed the best chance of the last ten minutes when one of their players headed over from three yards. Keys are without a game next week and play at Ferry Road Club on October 2.