Crowle reserves knocked out of cup

Crowle United Reserves Joe Taylor in action against Barton Broncos.  Picture: Liz Mockler E1582LM
Crowle United Reserves Joe Taylor in action against Barton Broncos. Picture: Liz Mockler E1582LM

CROWLE United Reserves suffered an early exit from the first stage of the Ireson Cup and a second defeat at the hands of Barton Broncos.

The reserves, who were on the receiving end of a 4-2 defeat from the same opposition in the third division of the Scunthorpe the District Sunday League last month, failed to seek revenge on their Humberside visitors on Sunday who came away with a 3-1 victory.

The home side, attacking into the wind at Windsor Park, had a chance to open the scoring when Aaron Taylor’s deflected effort rebounded off Barton’s crossbar.

Both sides failed to produce their best form in the early exchanges as they battled against the blustery conditions, however Barton soon made their pressure count when a series of corners found the head of their forward who connected from close range.

Just moments before the interval, the visitors doubled their lead with a shot from the edge of the box after United’s reserves could only half-clear a throw-in.

Broncos came out in the second half ready to further unseat their opponents by continuing to test shot-stopper Sam Thirkell but he managed to keep the score at bay with a succession of top drawer saves.

United’s Danny Smyth pulled a goal back for the home side when he drilled a free-kick into the bottom corner of Barton’s goal, giving their supporters a glimmer of hope of a cup comeback.

A deep Thirkell goal-kick then caused dramatic confusion in Barton’s penalty area as their goalkeeper and centre back collided and were thankful to see the ball bounce wide for a corner.

Craig McAnaney was Crowle’s body on the line on more than one occasion throughout as he solidly blocked several Barton attempts on goal.

However, the away side’s second half pressure did eventually count when a long ball found a Barton forward who rolled a shot past Thirkell for the win and a second round tie against Division Three’s runaway leaders Messingham, Crowle’s opponents at home on Sunday.