Cricket: Tickhill win Mick Savage Memorial Cup

Tickhill's players celebrate winning the Mick Savage Memorial Cup.
Tickhill's players celebrate winning the Mick Savage Memorial Cup.

Tickhill kept Darfield at bay to lift the Mick Savage Memorial Cup on opposition territory.

In Sunday’s entertaining final, James Stuart (40) and tailender Dominic McGough (32) top scored in Tickhill’s 239 all out.

The pair then both claimed two wickets as Darfield came up 14 runs short in their chase.

The match, traditionally played at Darfield in memory of their former player, saw the hosts win the toss and ask Tickhill to bat.

After a steady start the score reached 75-2 which brought Stuart to the wicket.

He increased the run rate with a top scoring 40 in 35 balls before being smartly stumped by Andy Bakes off Chris Jeeves.

The innings loss its way for a while and, at 180-8, Darfield looked like having to face a score of under 200.

However, a 53-run partnership in 53 balls between keeper James Needham (19) and McGough (32) saw Tickhill post a challenging 239 all out.

Leg spinner Liam Pepper claimed Darfield’s best figures with 5-56, while Jeeves and Ali Khan claimed two wickets each.

Darfield’s innings began cautiously and they were well behind the run rate after facing the opening pace attack of McGough and Steve Reid.

At a modest 78-4 Liam Marshall joined Khan who then launched a ferocious attack, swiftly taking the score to 157 before being caught on the long on boundary off Alex Rowland.

Khan’s superb 81 was completed in just 51 balls with 10 fours and four sixes.

Marshall (18) then departed but Warren Bird (20) and Andrew Baker (29) maintained the required five runs per over.

However, Bird fell to Stuart on 201 and with keeper Baker stumped by fellow keeper Needham the innings closed on 225-8.

McGough, Stuart, Rowland and Barnett each took two wickets in their nine overs.

Gillian Savage presented the trophy to Tickhill skipper Ashley Fiddler.

Jawed Akhtar umpired his first final, along with Jonathon Crabtree who at 22 years of age became the youngest umpire to officiate in a South Yorkshire League final.