Passengers in South Yorkshire face years of ‘sub-standard services’, union leaders have warned.
RMT has claimed the Government’s timetable to find new operators for the Northern and Trans-Pennine franchises has ‘descended into chaos’ after it was announced earlier the process had been delayed.
The Government had been due to issue invitations to tender for the two routes this month, but this will now take place in ‘early 2015’. It had been planned the new operators would start from February 2016. The RMT say the new franchises will result in higher ticket prices and staff job cuts. A protest outside Doncaster railway station will take place on January 5 as part of a series of its campaign.
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said: “The truth is that the whole region can expect a sub-standard, bodged-up services for many years to come.” The Department for Transport said it is ‘committed to improving services’.