Stranded Doncaster holiday couple release shocking photos of road smash injuries

A Doncaster holiday couple marooned 6.000 miles away from home after a horror road smash have released shocking photos of their injuries for the first time.

Friday, 26th February 2016, 10:46 am
Updated Friday, 26th February 2016, 10:50 am
Sarah after the operation to reset her leg.

British backpackers Rhys Sykes and Sarah Liddle are stranded in Vietnam following a motorbike smash in the country which left Sarah with a badly broken leg and unable to fly back home.

Earlier this week, the young couple launched an appeal pleading for help to fly back to the United Kingdom for urgent medical treatment after being told that a special evacution flight will cost them £30,000.

Rhys shows off the serious grazing to his arms.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The couple have now managed to find a cheaper alternative at £15,000 - but are still calling for public help in getting them back to Doncaster. A crowdfunding appeal has so far raised more than £2,100.

The photos show Sarah's leg held in place by metal rods while the picture of Rhys shows the extensive grazing he suffered to his arms.

Tragedy struck for the couple, both former Hungerhill School pupils, on Valentine's Day when the hired motorbike they were travelling on through the Far East country was smashed into by another motorcycle.

Sarah, 23, of Dunsville and Rhys, 24, of Hatfield, were hurled from the bike and onto the side of the road, with both suffering serious injuries.

Sarah and Rhys are bidding to get back to the UK from Vietnam.

Sarah suffered three separate breaks to her left leg and was left with blood pouring from an open wound while Rhys suffered a broken foot, broken fingers and seriously grazed arms.

The couple were part way through a backpacking trip around Asia and Australasia, having setting off from the UK shortly before Christmas and having already visited Thailand and Laos before crossing the border into Vietnam where tragedy struck. The couple were due to celebrate their first anniversary on February 15 - the day after the accident.

The couple are currently locked in a battle of red tape and legal minefields with their travel insurers over the validity of their policy as well as airlines, medical institutions, and the British and Vietnamese authorities. While the couple had travel insurance, they say the firm is refusing to pay out over a technicality.

After spending eight days in hospital, the pair were declared fit to fly by medics - but on arriving at the airport in Ho Chi Minh, they were told they would not be able to board - and are now currently based in a hotel in the city while they consider their next move.

Rhys shows off the serious grazing to his arms.

To donate to the couple's appeal, visit Get Sarah Home Just Giving Page

Sarah and Rhys are bidding to get back to the UK from Vietnam.