A South Yorkshire mum was left horrified when she found a sharp object in a nappy she had bought from a supermarket.
Jenna Jones was changing nine-month-old baby Leighton when she found the 5cm-long object – which she thought was glass – caught up in the lining.
Subsequent tests by an independent body for Aldi, the supermarket which had sold the nappies, revealed it was part of the absorbent material in the inner lining of the nappy that had crystallised.
Jenna, aged 21, from Hemingfield, Barnsley, said: “It really shook me up. It could have killed him if I had put it on him.”
Jenna said she was lucky to have spotted the ‘glass’ in the nappy, which was purchased from Aldi’s Ecclesfield store.
She said: “I do check nappies ever since I saw a post on Facebook about glass in a nappy. I’m quite vigilant but it could have cut into his abdomen.”
Ms Jones returned the nappy to Aldi and has since been sent £20 in vouchers. However, she thinks more should have been done.
She said: “Aldi are supposed to be the supermarket of the year but they don’t seem to have done anything like take the nappies off the shelves or check them. I am disgusted as someone could get hurt. I think they are taking this too lightly.”
Jenna’s mother, Karen Fowler, who was with Jenna while she was changing her son, said: “The packaging was all sealed so it must have happened in the production line. People need to be aware this could happen to them. For all we know there could be more in other packs.”
An Aldi spokesman said: “The safety of our products is of utmost important to Aldi.
“We have apologised to the customer and contacted the manufacturer.”