Smoke alarm saves Doncaster man's life

A smoke alarm saved a Doncaster man's life after soft furnishings caught fire after being too close to a heater.

Monday, 9th January 2017, 11:49 am
Updated Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 02:49 am
Fire damage

The alarm alerted a man in his 70s to the blaze in his home in Sunderland Place, Tickhill, and he managed to escape.

He was given oxygen by firefighters before he was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

More damage

Fire engines from Doncaster, Thorne and Edlington stations responded to calls about the blaze just before midnight on Friday.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Group manager Simon Dunker, who attended the incident, said: “This was a very serious house fire.

"The house was fully developed in fire when our crews arrived on the scene and they did a fantastic job to prevent the blaze from spreading to neighbouring properties.

"Fortunately, working smoke alarms raised the alarm and the man managed to escape.

More damage

"It’s yet another reminder of the importance of having working smoke alarms and testing them regularly.”