Seven warnings remain in place as Doncaster communities continue to deal with the devastating impact of the floods
A total of seven flood warning remain in place in Doncaster this morning, as ‘outbreaks of rain’ are forecast to hit the borough this weekend.
The warnings remain in place as residents in Bentley and Fishlake continue to try and cope with the devastating impact of the floods.
Doncaster Council estimate that 970 homes and businesses have been affected by the floods since the torrential rain started on November 7.
The flood warnings in place, where ‘immediate action is required,’ are:
- Ea Beck at Thorpe Marsh and Almholme
- River Don at Braithwaite
- River Don at Kirk Bramwith
- River Don at South Bramwith
- River Don at Stainforth
- River Don at Thorpe in Balne
- River Don at Trumfleet
There are also four ‘flood alerts’ in place. The Environment Agency urges residents living in the areas where the flood alerts are in place to ‘be prepared’.
They are in place in the following areas:
- Ea Beck catchment
- Lower River Don catchment
- River Went catchment
- Tidal River Ouse, Don and the Dutch River catchment
Meteorologists at the Met Office say today will be a mostly cloudy day with the risk of some rain at times.
The rain should be generally light, but a few heavier bursts are possible over the higher ground. The best of any brighter skies across the far south.
Tonight is forecast to be a cloudy and damp night with further outbreaks of rain at times, though later in the night some clear spells will develop along with a few mist and fog patches.
Tomorrow will be another largely cloudy day with the risk of further rain at times. There may be a few sunnier breaks developing in the afternoon and not as breezy as today.
Then moving into next week, a patchy frost is forecast on Monday morning, then dry and sunny. Tuesday and Wednesday should be mostly dry with some sunshine
Yesterday, the Environment Agency (EA) continued to pump water out of Fishlake.
Army soldiers had been working since Wednesday to lay down sandbags and firm up flood defences in the area and in neighbouring Stainforth, but have since been removed.
EA spokesman John Curtin said 38 pumps have been used in Fishlake, adding that all houses in the village should be free of water by Sunday.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson, whose response to the floods has been criticised by some of those affected, announced yesterday that the worst-impacted households and businesses would be eligible for immediate relief on their council tax and business rates.
On Thursday, the Government responded to criticism of its support of affected communities by saying it had been offering assistance since the first day of the flooding.
Part of this had come from the Bellwin scheme, operated by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) to help local councils.
"Under Bellwin, local authorities dealing with the flooding can apply to have 100 per cent of their eligible costs, above a threshold, reimbursed by the Government. This could be for items including rest centres, temporary accommodation and staff overtime," the Ministry said in a statement.
The Ministry said the Government had also activated its Flood Recovery Framework, which helps local authority districts with more than 25 flooded households.
This frees up funding to give eligible households and businesses ‘immediate relief’ from their council tax and business rates for at least the next three months.