Prince Andrew calls off visit to flood-hit Doncaster amid Jeffrey Epstein scandal
Prince Andrew has called off a visit to flood-hit Doncaster amid the Jeffrey Epstein scandal and a ‘car-crash’ BBC interview.
The Duke of York was supposed to be visiting flood-hit Fishlake and Stainforth yesterday to offer his support and thank emergency services.
But Buckingham Palace said the trip had been called off because of the General Election campaign and politician visits to the area.
The prince has been embroiled in a row over his relationship with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, who took his own life in jail while facing sex trafficking charges.
Buckingham Palace said that while the Duke had intended to quietly visit the area he was forced to cancel the trip last week due to 'purdah' rules with a general election being called and electioneering taking place in the region.
It comes as the duke faces a growing backlash after he said he did not regret his friendship with Epstein.
In an interview with the BBC's Newsnight on Saturday, the duke denied a sexual relationship with 17-year-old Virginia Giuffre, then known as Roberts, who would later testify that she had been forced to have sex with him.
He said he had visited a Pizza Express in Woking at the time of the alleged encounter and that Ms Roberts’ claims that he was ‘sweating profusely’ when they met were untrue because of a rare medical condition which he said leaves him unable to sweat.
Photos have since emerged from around the same time showing the Prince appearing to sweat.
Since the TV interview, a number of organisations have severed their links with the Duke.