Anger as buses diverted from Doncaster estate for a month - even though roads remain open

Residents on a Doncaster estate are fuming after buses were ‘unnecessarily’ taken off their estate for over a month.

Friday, 28th May 2021, 1:51 pm

Local councillors say they have been inundated by complaints from residents on the Windhill estate in Mexborough after the 221 service was diverted while road works are carried out by contractor Cadent – even though the roads have not been closed and the bus routes remain officially open.

But the route has been diverted because transport officials say parked cars and cones are making the street too narrow.

It is understood there was a collision involving a bus and a car there earlier this month

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The roadworks on the Windhill estate in Mexborough. Buses have been diverted 'unnecessarily'
The roadworks on the Windhill estate in Mexborough. Buses have been diverted 'unnecessarily'

Coun Sean Gibbons said he had received complaints over the lack of buses. with the estate having been missing buses for around four weeks. The diversions have just been extended for another two weeks.

He said buses had been taken away unnecessarily.

He said: “People are angry. We have elderly residents who are isolated when the buses don’t go round.

"We have predominantly elderly people in that part of the community who are struggling to get out for supplies and medication. Yes, they could get taxis but that is expensive when they could use the free bus pass to which they are entitled.

"A lot of people there don’t drive, and there is social isolation. They should have a decent, reliable bus.”

South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive said in a statement: “The roadworks between Clayfield View and Coniston Road, in Mexborough, don’t require road closures and the bus routes remain open for the duration of the works. However, poorly parked vehicles and the cones used by the contractors have narrowed the road available around the works and near the junction and pose a safety risk for buses running in the area.

“Stagecoach have therefore made the decision to divert service 221 on safety grounds. South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive recognise the importance of this service to local residents and are working hard with Doncaster Council and operators to resolve the issue and reinstate services as soon as possible. The contractors currently have permits for the works until June 10.

He said service 221 is currently following the usual 220 route between Mexborough Interchange and Denaby, missing Windhill estate. Customer notices are posted on the affected bus stops and online.

A Cadent spokesperson said: “We are currently carrying out essential maintenance work in the area.

“During this project we have worked closely with the local authority and any decisions about the suspension of bus services are made by the bus company.

“We hope that people understand this is essential work to upgrade your gas mains and keep energy flowing safely and reliably. We would urge anyone who has any questions to contact our customer service team”

A spokesperson for Stagecoach said: “Service 221 was due to return to its normal route from Wednesday May 26 following roadworks in the Windhill estate in Mexborough. Upon carrying out a route test, unfortunately it’s still not safe for buses to return to normal route and so the diversion will be in place until the roadworks are complete. We share our customers’ frustrations and look forward to serving this area as soon as we safely can."

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper. We stand together. Liam Hoden, editor.