Phone containing irreplaceable pictures of cancer victim stolen from Doncaster bar

A heartbroken Doncaster woman is appealing for the safe return of her stolen phone containing irreplaceable pictures and text messages from her little brother who died suddenly of cancer.

Wednesday, 18th May 2016, 8:47 am
Updated Wednesday, 18th May 2016, 8:51 am
left to right; Jannine Anderson , Nichola Anderson, Nicky Anderson, Adele Ward and Kerry Lamont

Kerry Lamont says the mobile phone is filled with memories of her brother, Nicky Anderson, who died in February aged 27 after battling testicular cancer and three brain tumours.

The phone was stolen from Flares bar in Hall Gate when Mrs Lamont was out with family and friends on April 30, celebrating what would have been her brother’s 28th birthday.

As well as pictures, the phone also contains heartfelt messages that Nicky had sent to his sister just days before his death.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mrs Lamont, aged 32, said: “There are pictures on there of Nicky when he was little and text messages he sent from hospital saying how much he loved us all and saying he would beat this and that he had dreams of his own to live for. These were things I could look at to give me comfort and memories that I can never replace.”

Mrs Lamont, of Warmsworth, was given a glimmer of hope after she texted the phone and a woman, from the Thurnscoe area, replied saying she could go and collect it – but she has failed to get in touch since.

She said: “A woman replied at first and said we could pick up the phone but since then we haven’t heard anything.

“I have pleaded and begged with her to give the phone back and explained how sentimental it is to me. If this person has any compassion she would give the phone back – even if it is handed into a police station anonymously. We have also offered a reward for the return of the phone.”

Nicky, the youngest of five siblings, was diagnosed with stage 4 testicular cancer following a routine blood test.

After undergoing 12 rounds of chemotherapy and three bone marrow transplants he was making good progress and returned to his job as a domestic cleaner at Drax Power Station before he was dealt another devastating blow.

Mrs Lamont said: “He had a migraine and went back to hospital and they found three brain tumours.

“It came as a massive shock – he was such an upbeat person and was one of those people who wouldn’t let anything defeat him.

“He was always a grafter. Even on days off he just wanted to get back to work. He was a real family person and we still can’t believe he’s gone.”

n Anyone with information is asked to call 101 quoting incident number 699 of May 3.