South Yorkshire fires round-up: Man rescued from flat blaze

editorial image

A man was rescued from his burning flat last night.

Firefighters were called out to a first floor apartment which was well alight in Club Garden Road, Sharrow, at 11.15pm.

They rescued a 20-year-old man from the blazing home and he was taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters from Rivelin and Central stations wore breathing apparatus before entering the property and used one hose reel water jet to extinguish the blaze.

A fire brigade spokesman said the fire had been started accidentally through discarded smoking materials.

Elsewhere, arsonists set fire to a pile of litter in Lupton Walk, Lowedges, at 6.55pm last night.

Firefighters from Lowedges Station spent 30 minutes tackling the blaze.

Over in Doncaster, yobs set fire to a Vauxhall Corsa in Hall Street, Barnburgh, at 4.45am on Sunday.

A crew from Dearne Valley Fire Station attended and spent 30 minutes extinguishing the blaze.