Dearne residents warned over fire risk caused by dirty ovens and grills

Fire and Rescue.
Fire and Rescue.

Dearne residents are urged to make sure they keep their ovens clean or risk them becoming a fire hazard.

Grime fires, caused by a build up of fat and grease in kitchen appliances like ovens and grill pans, are blamed for a large proportion of the 300 or so kitchen fires South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue attends in the area each year.

A fire service survey last year found 40 per cent of people asked admitted they hadn’t cleaned out their oven or grill pan for at least six months.

Firefighters are urging householders to keep appliances clean as billboard adverts are also going up across Rotherham to echo that safety message.

Kevin Ronan, head of community safety, said: “You’d be amazed how many homes we go to where minimum standards of hygiene and cleanliness aren’t maintained, putting residents at a real risk of having a fire that could severely damage their property. That’s why we’re raising awareness of this issue, to hopefully motivate people not to put off this particular household chore any longer.”

Log onto see for details.