Pan fire at Wombwell home

Two men were treated for the effects of smoke inhalation following a blaze at a Wombwell home.

The men, both aged in their early twenties, alerted the fire service after a pan left on heat caught fire.

The incident took place on Richardson Walk at about 7.30pm on Monday evening.

A spokeswoman for South Yorkshire fire service warned householders to never leave pans unattended on cookers.

Fire service statistics show that more fires start in the kitchen than any other room, and cooking accounts for more than 60 per cent of all accidental house fires in South Yorkshire. Advice is to stay safe in the kitchen by following these simple tips:

Don’t leave pans unattended.

Don’t use matches or lighters to light gas cookers. Spark devices are safer.

Turn saucepan handles so they don’t stick out from the hob or over pilot lights.

Keep the oven door shut.

Never use a chip pan – replace it with a thermostat-controlled deep fat fryer.