'Better safe than sorry' - this is what Doncaster people think about the government announcement to extend Covid-19 restrictions

Boris Johnson confirmed that the pandemic restrictions will last another four weeks – this is what Doncaster people think about the decision.

Tuesday, 15th June 2021, 8:15 am

During a televised announcement on June 14 the Prime Minister told the public that social distancing measures were to stay in place for a number of weeks to come.

We asked our readers how they felt about the decision.

Some felt that it was the safest course of action.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

This is what Doncaster people think about the announcement.

Mark Gill, said: “Better safe than sorry.

"The more people that get both jabs the safer we will be.”

Read More

Read More
Biscuit Billy’s to re-open and bands to return at Horse and Groom despite delay ...

Johnathan Revell: said: “Fair and understandable.

“There's lots of freedom at the minute.”

Alison Mann, said: “Do we want another lock down?

"My answer is NO so short term pain long term gain.

“I just hope the support for the businesses that are hit by the extension is sufficient.”

Jax Smith, said: “He's done the right thing, this time.

"Although if this variant continues to rise and it will.

"I think third lock down needs to be far more organised.

"And stringent measure put in place.”

Ruth Jackson, said: “Boris bizarrely has made the right decision.

"The last thing we want is to go backwards and the hospitality industry amongst others losing their jobs again.

"I know the night club scene is desperate to get moving again.”

Not everyone agrees that the restrictions should be left in place until July 19.

Ian Gude, said: “Utter rubbish.

"Absolutely no need.

"Those saying better safe than sorry might want to understand the proper stats and see that it’s safe now.”

Simon Chadwick, said: “Load of rubbish has per usual.

"Lies and more lies.”

Neil Corby, said: “Perhaps if the government had shut the borders last year we would now be in the clear.no one wants to see people unnecessarily ill, or die.”

Some are sad to miss out on events they had planned.

Lynsey Clarke, said: “Absolute joke.

"We are delaying by four weeks then in the next breathe show us figures and reiterate that the numbers are very very low.

"There are so many people that have made plans with this date in mind that are going to be devastated, not even any additional loosening that they could have considered?”

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper. We stand together. Liam Hoden, editor.