NCEL: Armthorpe Welfare's relegation worries deepen following defeat to Barton Town Old Boys

Armthorpe Welfare saw their relegation worries deepen with a 2-1 defeat at Barton Town Old Boys.

Tuesday, 14th March 2017, 5:00 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 9:43 am
Shaun Pendleton was on target for Rossington in their 3-1 win over Teversal.

Welfare went into the game just a point behind their hosts and victory would have taken them out of the bottom three.

However, the loss is a major setback to Armthorpe’s hopes of avoiding relegation out of the Premier Division for the very first time.

Michael Carmody’s side have now slipped to second from bottom and are four points adrift of safety with just seven games remaining.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

To make matters worse Armthorpe are likely to lose goalkeeper Adam Stevens for three of those games after he was sent off for retaliation four minutes from time following a confrontation with a Barton forward.

Moments earlier Barton’s centre half had been shown a straight red card following an off the ball incident with Jack Waldron.

After a scrappy first half it looked good for Welfare when they took a 61st minute lead. A well worked free-kick was headed down by Darren Mansaram towards Craig Aspinall who squared the ball for Waldron to tuck away a simple chance.

Welfare found themselves pegged back though on 70 minutes when Tom Waudby nodded home.

Three minutes later and Barton had turned the game around. Armthorpe failed to clear a cross from the left and Edward Rogerson’s low drive beat Stevens for what proved to be the winner.

Armthorpe face Worksop Town at home this weekend knowing they need to put some points on the board.

Maltby Main staged a late fightback at Rainworth Miners Welfare to earn a 2-2 draw to make it just one defeat in the last six.

Rossington Main ended a run of three games without a win after coming from behind to beat Teversal 3-1 at Oxford Street.

Josh Radford headed the visitors into a 10th minute lead.

Rossington missed a penalty but were back on level terms on 19 minutes when Shaun Pendleton nodded in a cross at the far post.

Andy McCreadie waltzed through the Teversal defence to give Main the lead before the break.

It got even better for Chris Glarvey’s men in first half stoppage time when they went 3-1 up with Lee Holmes stooping to head in his eighth goal of the season.

It looked like it might be a nervous last 20 minutes or so when Main found themselves down to ten men after Jacob France was given a straight red.

However, it became ten-a-side on 80 minutes when Teversal’s scorer Radford was dismissed for a second yellow card and with that went any hopes the visitors might have had of getting back into the game.

The win saw Rossington climb up one place to 17th in Division One.

With no game this weekend Main’s next action comes on Tuesday when they go to play-off chasing Grimsby Borough.