NCEL: Armthorpe grab precious point against Cleethorpes

Armthorpe Welfare grabbed a priceless point thanks to a last minute goal in a 1-1 draw against high-riding Cleethorpes Town.

Tuesday, 5th April 2016, 5:00 am
Craig Aspinall, right, equalised for Armthorpe.
Craig Aspinall, right, equalised for Armthorpe.

With Armthorpe facing four of the Premier Division’s top five teams over the next few weeks, every point will be vital for Brian Johnston’s side as they look to retain their top flight status.

So a point against a Cleethorpes side that arrived at Church Street third in the table has to go down as a huge plus as Welfare made it just one defeat in their last six league outings.

Armthorpe keeper Lee Overton had to push an early shot from Luke Mascall onto the post before Town’s Daniel Trott saw his deflected effort hit the crossbar.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

It was far from all one-way traffic, however, as Stuart Preston fired narrowly wide from ten yards out, while Richard Smith on the stretch headed wide at the back post.

Cleethorpes though made the breakthrough just before the half hour mark when the ball fell kindly for Marc Cooper and he steered a shot under Overton for his 29th goal of the season.

On the stroke of half time Cleethorpes found themselves down to ten men when midfielder Caine Winfarrah was sent off for a second yellow card.

Armthorpe looked to make their numerical advantage count in the second half but after Smith sent a decent headed chance high and wide it looked like being a fruitless afternoon for Johnston’s men.

However, Welfare were rewarded for never giving up in the final minute when Craig Aspinall surged into the area and found the net for an equaliser that was thoroughly deserved.

Armthorpe host mid-table Albion Sports on Saturday before a trip to title-chasing Tadcaster Albion on Tuesday.

n Maltby Main suffered a first defeat in eight games, and only a second reverse in 16 league outings, as Rainworth Miners Welfare completed a league double following a last gasp 1-0 victory.

The Miners had to play for most of the second half with ten men after Danny Swales was shown a straight red card five minutes after the break.

Just when it seemed the game would end in a stalemate Rainworth grabbed all three points through Joe Cheeseman with the very last kick of the game.