Meigh Pottery - a story over almost a century
Meigh Pottery was run successfully by Charles Meigh from 1834 when he took over from his father, Job.
Job Meigh worked out of Old Hall Pottery, Hanley, Staffordshire from 1805, producing high quality stoneware and earthenware. Charles continued this business. His most well known and popular works were white stoneware jugs with relief decoration of Gothic Revival motifs.
The designs were formed as part of the mould before pieces were cast. The ‘Minster’ jug was a key design, sometimes referred to as a ‘Minster Jug’ or ‘York Minster’ although the religious design has no known association with York Minster.
Religious scenes were common in Meigh’s work, as were sporting events and drinking activities. Larger examples are sought after by collectors, realising higher prices.
Charles Meigh was greatly admired for his high quality designs and intricate moulded work, with his factories acknowledged for casting crisp three-dimensional designs few could rival.
Meigh exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851 and in 1886 won a medal.
Charles Meigh traded under many names from 1834 to the factory closure in 1902 and the marks used change accordingly. Until 1849 marks all incorporated name or initials. When he entered a partnership in 1850, changing the company name to ‘Charles Meigh, Son & Pankhurst’ the initials CMS&P were included on marks, losing the ‘P’ in 1851 when he traded under‘Charles Meigh & Son’. In 1861 the name changed to ‘Old Hall Earthenware Co Ltd’ and finally ‘Old Hall Porcelain Works Ltd’ in 1886 until 1902.