Mattress blaze caused by cigarette

Fire Engine on call
Fire Engine on call

A SMOKER had an early wake up call when a cigarette he left by his bedside set alight to his mattress.

The man, believed to be in his 20s, thought he had disposed of a cigarette in an ashtray in his bedroom.

However, it caught the mattress and started a fire as he was sleeping in a terraced house in Austerfield Avenue, Bentley.

He had to evacuate the first floor bedroom after being woken up by a smoke alarm.

Two fire crews from Doncaster station were sent to the blaze in the early hours of this morning.

A fire spokesman said the man was unhurt following the fire and that the mattress was badly damaged.