Man '˜tasered' three times to stop three-day Doncaster rampage

Police had to Taser a man three times before they could arrest him after he went berserk.

Monday, 25th July 2016, 7:41 am
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 4:39 pm
Gavin Caddick admitted 21 offences including criminal damage, affray, common assault, dangerous driving and driving while disqualified. He had to be tazered three times

Gavin Caddick went on a ‘bizarre’ six-day wrecking spree after his partner had a miscarriage.

He targeted innocent motorists by riding up on his motorbike and smashing their windows.

Terrified drivers were showered with glass and some were injured as 31-year-old Caddick vented his fury.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He also targeted a dog walker and rode at a supermarket worker having hours before escaped police in a high-speed car chase.

Caddick was arrested six days later during a siege at his mother’s house in which he assaulted several officers.

He had to be Tasered three times before he was finally subdued, Sheffield Crown Court heard.

Caddick was jailed for 30 months after he admitted a series of offences.

Prosecutor Zaiban Alam said Caddick wielded a hammer and a spanner to smash car windows in the Dunscroft area of Doncaster.

He was riding a motorbike and targeted a ‘large number of cars’, some of which were stood in traffic or parked up.

“The targets of his ire were not only car owners but passers-by who were caught up in the cross-fire,” said Miss Alam.

He began his crime spree on the afternoon of Tuesday, December 8 last year and within two hours had smashed up several cars.

Six days later he went on another wrecking spree and was seen repeatedly hitting cars in Dunscroft with hammers and other weapons.

Police were called and at 4am on December 14 Caddick was found alongside a van with its windows smashed and the door wide open.

Caddick threatened the officers saying “I’ll kill you” before an incapacitant spray and a baton was used to no avail and Caddick punched an officer before fleeing.

He was eventually tracked down to his mother’s home in Dunscroft where be hegan throwing bottles and a dumbell out of an upstairs window hitting one officer, shouting abuse and making more threats.

The police forced their way in only for him to barricade the top of the stairs.

Caddick grabbed a riot shield from an officer and punched him to the head and helmet giving him a cut lip.

“He was Tasered three times before officers got control of him,” said Miss Alam.

When interviewed he said he thought someone was trying to kill him and his anger was not directed at the police only in self-defence.

Caddick, of Broadway, Dunscroft admitted 21 offences including criminal damage, affray, common assault, dangerous driving and driving while disqualified.

His barrister John Hillis said he had ‘gone off the rails’ because of his 46-year-old partner’s miscarriage.

He was determined to break the cycle of drink and drugs which had enveloped him.

Caddick was also banned from driving for four years.