Local football: Denaby move within sight of top spot with Sheffield win

Denaby Main moved to within five points of the top of County Senior League Division One after making it four wins from four for February.

Thursday, 3rd March 2016, 5:07 am
Callum Spratt

Despite not being at their best, Main overcame Sheffield Bankers 2-0 thanks to Owen Fieldsend and Callum Spratt to close the gap at the top whilst retaining two games in hand.

Denaby observed a minutes silence in respect to John Thompson, the Conisbrough pensioner who died last week in a tragic car crash.

Once proceedings were underway, Main were right on to the front foot, and made a dream start when Liam Winfield found Townsend with a pass, who in turn found a gap between the keepers’ legs with his powerful low effort, to give Main the lead.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Sheffield looked dangerous on the counter attack, and looked to get through on goal with long balls over the defence, but Main keeper Kyle Takacs wasn’t called into serious action.

And The Reds thought they’d doubled their advantage shortly after the half hour mark when striker Ryan Oakley had the ball in the back of the net, however, he was denied by the whistle, with the referee indicating he’d spotted a foul in the build-up.

The second half did see an increase in the number of chances Denaby were able to carve out, largely down to a change in formation which saw Luke Skelton pushed further up front.

However, they were largely wastful in front of goal, and the lead remained a fragile one with Bankers looking to counter.

Oakley then sprung the offside trap and lifted an effort over Bankers’ keeper, only to see his effort come back off the crossbar, before Denaby finally put the game to bed and secured the points.

After a succession of late corners, Spratt met one such delivery to flick the ball home, and double the advantage.

Main face their game of the season on Saturday when they go to local rivals and league leaders Denaby United, in a game which may determine which side can steal a march in the promotion chase.

Meanwhile, Parkgate suffered a 6-2 defeat to Retford United in the Northern Counties East League Premier.

Christian Savage aopened the scoring before Adam Lee gave Retford a 2-0 half time lead.

The second half started well for the Steelmen as they pulled a goal back through Ross Shelton in the 46th minute.

Retford then went further ahead with a second goal from Adam Lee.

Michael Cuckson gave The Steelmen hope as he cut the deficit, however, their defeat was sealed with a flurry of late goals for Retford.