‘Knifeman’ pitch invasion probed

A FOOTBALL fan who saw red after a sending off ran onto the pitch with a knife, it is claimed.

League officials are set to investigate after a match was abandoned amid claims a spectator ran onto the field brandishing a blade at a player.

The game between Queens United and Butchers Arms United descended into chaos just minutes into their Allied Travel Cup tie in Wath on Sunday.

A Queens player was sent off for kicking out at an opponent, sparking a brief scuffle between both sides.

While the red-carded player was walking off the pitch a man is said to have run on with a knife.

The referee ordered the spectator to leave and decided to abandon the game, which stood at 0-0, in the interests of player safety.

The official was due to submit a report to Sheffield and Hallamshire County Football Association this week, who are set to investigate.

A witness said: “The two players invloved in the sending off were supposedly ex-teammates.

“There was arguing and while all this was going off someone from Queens shouted that a bloke had come onto the pitch with a knife.

“He was shouting at some of the players for a few minutes but went after he was asked to leave.

“It spooked the players and arguments were breaking out again so the match was abandoned.”

A spokesman for the Peter Brooks Honda Mexborough and District Sunday Football League said such incidents are utterly unnaceptable and players should not feel in danger.

He said: “Its is an absolute disgrace, the league is shocked by this. It is appalling.

“It will be referred to the county FA.

“We will have to wait to see what they do before we consider what action we may take.”

He added that the police had not been contacted and the matter would be left with the county FA to deal with.

A club official for Wath-based Queens United confirmed a knifeman had entered the field of play but did not want to comment further.

The Times left a message with a representative of the Thurnscoe-based Butchers Arms United, but did not get a reply at time of going to press.

A spokeswoman for Sheffield and Hallamshire County FA confirmed they would probe the incident.

She said: “Sheffield & Hallamshire FA has been made aware of the matter and we are currently waiting for the referees report from the match in question before any further action can be taken.

“Incidents such as the alleged are extremely rare and we will work with all parties to reach an appropriate outcome.”