Many people leave for work in the dark and return when it is dark which can lead to properties looking vulnerable and unoccupied. In a small number of cases these houses are then targeted by opportunist burglars.
To combat this people can take some steps to make there homes less desirable targets.
· Keep your home secure, make sure that you’ve locked all outside doors and windows and, if going out and you have a burglar alarm, make sure it is set.
· When going out, use automatic timer-switches to turn your lights on when it goes dark.
· If you are going out for a long time ask a trusted friend or neighbour to close the curtains and turn on lights in the property when it gets dark.
· Consider using a plug-in timer for the radio would make it sound as if someone was home. Tune the radio to a station that has more talking than music.
· Look at your doors and windows. Make sure you have sufficient quality locks, restrictors and door chains.
· Be a good neighbour, report anything suspicious in the area on 101.