Contamination fears from a walk-in patient led to the closure of Doncaster Royal Infirmary’s Accident and Emergency department.
The incident happened last Friday morning when a man attended the Thorne Road hospital after being involved in a workplace accident involving an unknown chemical agent.
The chemical was later found out to be battery acid.
A spokesperson for Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals said: “A man was brought into the Emergency Department at Doncaster Royal Infirmary following an accident at their workplace involving an unknown chemical agent, which was later found to be battery acid.
“The man was treated and discharged the same day.
“As with any unknown chemical related incident we took appropriate action to ensure the safety of other patients and staff and implemented appropriate Trust procedures.
“We are happy to report that the chemical posed no threat to other people in the area.”
Other patients wishing to attend A&E were left to wait for attention during the temporary closure, which staff say was only for a very short period of time.