Gunman on the loose in Sheffield: Everything we know so far
Armed police are searching for a gunman on the run in Sheffield this morning.
Officers and police are searching the former Stones Brewery in Neepsend, where the gunman was seen at 5.15am.
A cordon is in place around the derelict brewery, with a number of surrounding streets sealed off.
A South Yorkshire Police spokeswoman said: "There is currently a high police presence in the Neepsend Lane area of the city and there is significant disruption for traffic and pedestrians due to a number of closed roads.
"Reports were received at around 5.15am this morning that a man had been seen with what is believed to be a firearm, entering a disused brewery at the back of Neepsend Lane.
"Officers were immediately deployed and secured the scene. The area being searched for the man within the brewery and disused land is vast and to ensure the public’s safety while this is carried out, a number of roads have been cordoned off and will remain closed throughout the morning.
"The junctions at Penistone Road and Rutland Road onto Neepsend Lane are both closed as well as Burton Road and Douglas Road.
"Please avoid this area this morning if possible as traffic will be significantly heavier than usual and delays are very likely."
- A man was seen with a gun entering the old Stones Brewery, Neepsend Lane, Neepsend, at 5.15am. South Yorkshire Police has not yet confirmed whether it was a police officer or a member of the public who spotted the gunman.
- The eyesore disused brewery, covered in graffiti and with all its windows smashed, is at the centre of the search. Police dogs and armed officers can be seen outside.
- Neepsend Lane, from its The junctions with Penistone Road and Rutland Road, are closed, as well as Burton Road and Douglas Road.
- Police cars, vans and tape are being used to seal off the streets while police search the brewery and surrounding wasteland.
- Employees of firms inside the police cordon are unable to get to work.
- No shots have been fired during the incident.
* Related articles: