Grieving dad gives cot death warning

The grave of Maizie Robinson, who died aged six months. Picture: Liz Mockler D9486LM
The grave of Maizie Robinson, who died aged six months. Picture: Liz Mockler D9486LM

A GRIEVING dad is warning of the high risk of cot death in premature babies after finding his daughter dead in her bed.

Five-month-old Maizie Robinson was born nine weeks prematurely weighing just 3lbs with twin sister Millie, who was 2lbs, an inquest heard.

Maizie’s dad Sean Robinson made the painful discovery when he went to check on her at their family home in Fowler Crescent, Rossington.

The 26-year-old and Maizie’s mum Laura Jackson, 27, tried desperately to revive the baby but their attempts were in vain.

An inquest at Doncaster Coroner’s Court ruled Maizie died from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, more commonly known as cot death.

Mr Robinson spoke to the Free Press after the hearing to alert parents to the dangers premature babies are more susceptible to.

He said: “Maizie and Millie were kept in the hospital after they were born because of their weights but when we could take them home we were never really told about the dangers of cot death until after Maizie died.

“We’ve now bought a monitor for Millie which bleeps when she stops breathing. I just think more parents should be told about what they have to be careful of with premature children.

“If our experience can stop one family going through what we have been through then that is all we ask for.

“I can’t sleep since it has happened, I’m seeing a counsellor now, I don’t want anybody to go through what we have.

“Maizie was the best baby in the world, she never cried, never wanted for anything and always slept really well. She was perfect.”

The hearing heard how Maizie was well cared for, was putting on weight and was the better sleeper of the twins. It was Millie who was more prone to medical problems.

The couple had just bought new cots and mattresses for their daughters.

Mr Robinson told the hearing how he and his partner would often check on Maizie several times a night because she would often wriggle around and get her limbs caught in the bars of her cot.

Maizie had slept in her new bed for a couple of nights before Mr Robinson found her motionless at around 10am on September 17. He had last checked on her at about 3am.

He said: “She was face down in her cot, I could see that she was not moving.

“I immediately grabbed her and picked her up, her face was blue, she was cold, lifeless and floppy.

“I knew as soon as I saw her face that she was dead. I started screaming and shouting Laura and then she started screaming too. I blew into Maizie’s mouth and Laura did chest compressions. I was in a panic.

“I knew Maizie was dead, I just wanted someone to bring her back.”

A post-mortem examination said there was nothing out of the ordinary to explain her death.

Coroner Nicola Mundy recorded a verdict of natural causes.

She added: “Maizie was the larger and seemingly the healthier of the two girls and there was no evidence to suggest any significant health problems.”