Gas fear forces family to leave

A FAMILY had to flee their home after a gas cylinder caught fire.

Firefighters were called to the property in Bridge Street, Thorne, when a garden fire spread to the acetylene cylinder.

A man and his children were evacuated and had to stay with nearby relatives before returning home 24 hours later.

Officers cooled the cylinder to prevent any risk of an explosion and set up a 50 metre cordon. No other properties in the area had to be evacuated.

Firefighters initially responded to reports of trees on fire at the house shortly after 10.30pm on Saturday and quickly extinguished the blaze.

But they found the fire had spread to a pile of wood and the nearby cylinder in the yard of the property.