First picture of Sheffield man accused of attempted murder of PC

This is the first picture of the man accused of attempting to murder a Sheffield police officer in an axe attack.

Friday, 15th April 2016, 12:02 pm
Nathan Sumner, 35, arrives at Sheffield Magistrates' Court under heavy police guard. Picture: Ross Parry Agency

Nathan Sumner, aged 35, of Plowright Close, Gleadless Valley, appeared at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court today over an incident in which five police officers were injured.

He is charged with attempting to murder PC Lisa Bates, six counts of assault by beating, a section 47 assault, two counts of making threats to kill, affray, threatening a person with a blade in a public place and production of cannabis.

Sumner is alleged to have assaulted two officers on Plowright Close and another three at the Co-op in nearby Blackstock Road. Lisa Bates was one of two officers who were attacked after being called to a report of a ‘domestic incident’ in a flat in Plowright Close at around 7.50pm.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Three other officers were injured in the Co-op in nearby Blackstock Road as they attempted to apprehend the culprit.

Sumner, who was wearing a grey T-shirt and spoke only to confirm his name and address, appeared in the dock at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court flanked by seven police officers. He was also handcuffed and his left eye was completely closed and he had a large dressing above it.

Another police officer stood guard at the door to the court room, and more where stood guard around the court building.

Paul Macaulay, prosecuting, said: “It’s a truly horrendous attack on a police officer. She is extremely fortunate to still be alive.”

Andrew Dalrymple, defending, said: “I will not be making an application for bail. It’s clear there is going to be a medical response. He sustained injuries himself, his left eye has been severely damaged.”

He added that two doctors had seen Sumner while he had been in custody and said he needed to have surgery on his eye within 72 hours of the injury being sustained. The nature of the injury was not clear.

Nine members of Sumner’s family sat in court throughout the hearing. They gasped in shock and cried when he was brought in to the dock. One man gave him the peace sign with his hands, while Sumner attempted to give them a thumbs up.

One woman shouted ‘Nathan, you are safe. They are going to look after you’, as he was taken back to the cells.

Another woman appeared overcome with emotion and collapsed on the seats at the back of the court when the hearing was over.

Deputy District Judge Hopkinson granted permission for Sumner to receive medical attention, and remanded him in custody.

He is due to appear at Sheffield Crown Court on May 13.