Firefighters will take industrial action over a long running pensions dispute on Wednesday from 7am to 7pm.
This is the latest in a series of strikes by members of the Fire Brigades’ Union since a row broke out two years ago over pensions and retirement age.
The union accuses fire minister Penny Mordaunt of misleading MPs over assurances given to firefighters from the fire authorities about how their pensions will be affected if they fail imposed fitness tests.
Humberside Fire and Rescue Service urges members of the public to take extra safety precautions during the strike hours.
Chief Fire Officer at Humberside Fire and Rescue Service, Dene Sanders, said: “While the industrial action is ongoing we will still be responding to 999 calls, but we are asking members of the public to take extra steps to reduce the risk of a fire breaking out in their home as life risk calls will be the priority.”
Fires can start for a variety of reasons, from cooking being left unattended, to electrical faults, candles being placed too close to furnishings or cigarettes not being fully extinguished. The advice from the Fire Service is ensure smoke alarms are fitted on every level of your home and to check they are working.
“Smoke detectors provide an early warning of a fire and can give occupants vital extra minutes to escape, especially at night. But a smoke alarm can only save your life if it is working and the battery is checked regularly,” Mr Sanders said.
Other steps residents can take to stay safe from fire are:
Take extra care in the kitchen and never leave cooking unattended and ensure the cooker is switch off when finished.
Stub cigarettes out fully in a proper ash tray and never smoke in bed.
Do not overload electrical sockets and switch off all electrical appliances when not in use.
“I would also urge households to make an escape plan and practise it with everyone in the home. If a fire does breakout, it is important everyone knows the quickest way to escape,” Mr Sanders added.
If you do have a fire, get out of the house, stay out and call 999.