Eight children and two teachers have been taken to hospital following a spillage of bleach this morning.
Firefighters and paramedics were called out to Springs Leisure Centre, East Bank Road, Arbourthorne, earlier this morning to deal with a spillage of bleach in the swimming pool pump room.
The spillage happened while maintenance work was being carried out.
Today’s other stories:
Children and teachers involved in a school swimming lesson were taken to hospital after complaining of feeling sick.
The sports centre is to be closed for the rest of the day.
A spokeswoman for Sheffield International Venues, which runs the sports centre, said: “Following an incident this morning at the swimming pool at Springs Leisure Centre during a school swimming lesson, eight children and two teachers have been taken to hospital by ambulance with sickness symptoms.
“We are currently working with the emergency services, who are on site, to investigate.
“The swimming pool and leisure centre are closed until further notice.”
A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said: "Maintenance work was being carried out in the swimming pool pump room and some bleach was knocked over.
"We were called as a precaution and to assist in disposal of the bleach."