E-cig to blame for van blaze in Rotherham

Fire chiefs have issued a warning about the safety of E-cigarettes after a van caught fire when one was left on charge inside.

A Ford Transit van destroyed when an E-cigarette left on charge, exploded and caused some paperwork to catch fire.

The blaze on Brecks Lane, Herringthorpe, Rotherham, broke out at around 11am on Friday.

Firefighters dealt with the incident.

The safety warning was issued on the day the first UK TV advert featuring one of the devices aired.

E-cigarettes are commonly charged via a computer USB port or vehicle charge ports.

Fire investigators think fires commonly start because the devices are left to charge too long, they are charged on or close to soft furnishings, or because the charger itself is faulty.

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue’s Head of Community Safety, Kevin Ronan, said: “Fires caused by E-cigarettes are an emerging trend which, two years ago, simply did not exist.

“Whilst E-cigs may offer a safer alternative to traditional cigarettes, they are so popular now we do need to make sure people know how charge them safely.

“The advice for E-cigs is really the same as for many smaller electrical appliances like mobile phones and laptops - don’t be tempted to buy cheap unbranded chargers, don’t leave them to charge whilst you are out of the house or asleep and keep them well away from flammable materials.”

Tips to prevent e-cigarette fires include keeping the device away from flammable or combustible materials when charging.”