- Emergency services were called to Doncaster railway station at 8.19pm yesterday to reports that two people had been struck by a train.
- The casualties, who have not yet been named, were pronounced dead at the scene.
- Eye-witnesses claim the man and woman were seen 'hugging' when they jumped from the platform into the path of an oncoming train.
- Enquiries into the circumstances surrounding the incident are underway, with police officers due to hand over their findings to the coroner for Doncaster ahead of an inquest into the tragedy.
- Trains to and from Doncaster were delayed while emergency services dealt with the incident and aftermath of the tragedy last night but services are running as normal this morning.
- British Transport Police said the deaths are not being treated as suspicious.
Call the Samaritans on 116 123.