Doncaster Phoenix slip into drop zone after Ilkley defeat

Doncaster Phoenix slipped into the National Three North relegation zone after a 43-5 defeat at Ilkley.

Wednesday, 15th March 2017, 10:41 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:07 am

Injury-hit Phoenix conceded six tries as the hosts powered to victory.

They were 22-0 down before centre Sam Bottomley scored their only try shortly before half time, and things got no better after the break with Ilkley running in three more tries.

Phoenix have four more games to pull themselves out of danger.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Wheatley Hills, already doomed to relegation from North One East, sank to a 74-12 defeat at Driffield.

Hills started the brighter of the two sides with centre Zach Mears crashing over to give them the lead.

But Driffield were ruthless in their response and by the half hour mark had run in four tries and secured their bonus point.

Winger Liam Winfield scored for Hills after the break with William Allen adding the extras.

Thornensians put themselves in good spirits for their National Senior Vase quarter-final on Saturday when they won 20-19 at Barnsley in Yorkshire Two.

The Thorne club, who will be away to West Lancashire side Tarleton in the Vase, did not take the lead until 12 minutes into the second half and held on in a tense finish after kicking the winning penalty goal with four minutes remaining.

After having an early try from a line-out disallowed, Thorne conceded two penalty goals before scrum-half Olly Rothwell put them back on track with a try. Stephen Shaw, despite an excellent game at full-back, missed the conversion kick, and Barnsley turned round 16-5 ahead after adding a converted try and a third penalty.

Within a couple of minutes of the restart Thorne pulled back a try by centre Rob Brown, although Brown himself missed the conversion.

A third try by centre Luke Marsden, this time converted by Brown, gave Thorne the lead at 17-16, but Barnsley came back with two further penalties to go 19-17 in front. After two penalty chances which could have won the game, Thorne finally succeeded when Brown landed a kick from halfway.

Wath on Dearne were beaten 31-21 at Halifax by Old Crossleyans.