Doncaster North MP Ed Miliband is the subject of Britain’s favourite Christmas joke, according to a television station’s poll.
Comedy channel Gold asked the public to tweet gags, to keep them short and snappy, and 2,000 adults voted for their favourites.
The winner was: “Why does Ed Miliband like advent calendars? He gets to open the door to number 10.”
Doncaster born television personality Jeremy Clarkson also made the top 10 as a subject of another of the jokes.
The competition, by UKTV’s comedy channel Gold which has been renamed Christmas Gold for the month of December, was prompted two years ago after research suggested many people considered Christmas cracker jokes to be outdated.
Comedy critic Bruce Dessau said: “So at last Ed Miliband has won a vote this year. Maybe it’s not the same as getting into Downing Street but it must be nice for him to know that he has not been forgotten by the British public.
“There are some cracking jokes in this year’s top 20 and some cheesy ones too, but that’s what makes Christmas crackers so popular.”
* The top 10 funniest jokes for 2015
1. Why does Ed Miliband like advent calendars? He gets to open the door to number 10
2. I told my Granddad to go to Amazon for his Christmas shopping. He phoned me two days later from Brazil
3. Why were Jeremy Clarkson’s colleagues excited to try his mulled wine? Because they’d been floored by his punch
4. How does Darth Vader like his Christmas turkey? On the dark side
5. Why did Santa pour Lemsip into the chimney? He was coming down with the flue
6. Why don’t Volkswagen hold Christmas Services? They get the readings wrong
7. Why is there no Champagne at the Chelsea Christmas party? Because Mourinho got rid of the Fizzy-o
8. Why was the turkey at the Talk Talk Christmas party such a mess? It was hacked.
9. Who’s Rudolph’s favourite pop star? Beyon-sleigh
10. What do Wikileaks staff have with their Christmas turkey? An anonymous sauce
The witticisms that just missed out on the top spots include
:: Why won’t Tom Jones be carol singing this Christmas? He’s lost his Voice
:: Why didn’t people like the new Apple Mac themed advent calendars? They didn’t have any Windows
:: Why doesn’t anyone trust Jeremy Corbyn to put up the Christmas tree? Because it always leans to the left