Doncaster drug addict died of infection

A drug addict who died after contracting a lung infection was more susceptible to the condition due to years of substance misuse, an inquest heard.

Friday, 8th April 2016, 2:37 pm
Doncaster Crown Court. Picture: Marie Caley NDFP 02-01-15 Doncaster Crown Court MC 2

Wayne Robinson, aged 39, was found collapsed in the kitchen of his home in Riviera Parade, Bentley on August 16 last year.

Doncaster Coroner’s Court heard it was ‘highly unusual’ for a man of his age to contract a lung infection of this kind but his long history of drug abuse made him more prone to infection.

Coroner Fred Curtis concluded Mr Robinson had died of natural causes but the history of drug abuse had played a part.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mr Robinson’s partner Vicky Stead said he had been suffering from nose bleeds and feeling ill in the weeks before his death but refused to go to the doctor.

A statement from Miss Stead said:“He always used heroin, at first every fortnight but the more money he had, the more he spent on it. It became worse in the six months before he died. He always smoked it and injected it a few times.”

On the day of his death Miss Stead had left Mr Robinson upstairs and gone out with a friend.

When she returned she found Mr Robinson collapsed on the kitchen floor but thought he was asleep.

She said: “I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t think he was dead – I found him collapsed lots of times before. I’m distraught and feel guilty I didn’t check on him before I went out.”

The court heard Mr Robinson had a long history of heroin abuse.

On August 13, Mr Robinson had spent £80 on heroin but toxicology tests revealed no evidence of the drug in his system.

Methadone and anti-depressants were detected.

Giving evidence, consultant pathologist Dr Suzanne Rogers said Mr Robinson had a ‘widespread lung infection’ that had started to spread to his heart.

Dr Rogers said the cause of death was sepsis due to the bronchopneumonia infection but his history of substance misuse was a contributory factor.

In the weeks before his death, Mr Robinson had developed lumps on his head that he scratched and Dr Roger said this could have been how the infection entered his body.

Recording a narrative verdict, Mr Curtis said: “He died of natural causes set against a backdrop of consistent misuse of drugs rendering him more susceptible to infection.”