‘We may be driven out of our Doncaster estate after being attacked twice in a week’
He grew up in Hexthorpe.
But Alex Lourenco today told how he was prepared to leave the village he has called home for 16 years after being assaulted on his own street twice in just a week.
The 26-year-old moved to Hexthorpe with his family 16 years ago, but says he is now being driven out by the antisocial behaviour which is affecting the estate.
He said he was initially attacked outside his home on Saturday April 17, after his father had asked a group of youths who they believed to be gathering in the street for a party to quieten down. Alex said was punched to the ground.
Then, late on the following Friday night, April 23, and in the early Saturday morning, he said there was another attack, when a group of people kicked through the glass in their front door. Alex said his dad was punched, and he was attacked with a belt, leaving him with a wound near his eye.
Police came out to deal with the situation. But he said that later on, their back door was also kicked and broken, and police came out again.
He said they were considering leaving the estate after what had happened to them.
Alex, who lives with his dad and his 77-year-old grandmother, said: “I’m still in a state of shock and a bit fearful.
"We are being driven out of Hexthorpe. Hexthorpe just doesn’t feel safe any more. It’s gone down so far in the last few years. There need to be more police patrols. I don’t know if there is enough closed circuit television.
"I’ve lived in Hexthorpe for 16 years. We came here when I was only nine years old and wanted to stay here.”
A teenager was arrested after the most recent incident.
Police said said it was reported that two men at the property on April 24 were assaulted after they answered their door when they heard banging outside. The window of the door was also allegedly damaged, they said.
“A 17-year-old boy has been arrested for assault and criminal damage,” they added in a statement.
Chief Insp Jayne Forrest said the force was currently taking action over issues including antisocial behaviour in Hexthorpe.
She said: “If someone has been assaulted twice that is something that we would treat as a priority. Any repeat victims will automatically get an enhanced level of service. Something like this will be prioritised as part of our strong response to criminality in this area.
“The issue of nuisance youths is a current priority for us in Hexthorpe following feedback from the community, and we’ve been very active in that area recently.
“We are doing speeding initiatives as well as patrols of the antisocial behaviour hotspots and following complaints from the community about interruptions in their electricity supplies we have seized over 600 cannabis plants with seven people arrested.”
Inspector Mark Payling for Doncaster Central Neighbourhood Team said: “We are aware of anti-social behaviour issues in Hexthorpe particularly around Denison Road.
"We are committed to preventing this type of behaviour and ensuring residents feel safe in their communities.
“We will be conducting extra patrols in the area, and I want to reassure residents that anybody causing a nuisance will be dealt with appropriately.”