VIDEO: Drama as armed police swoop on Doncaster street

Shocked residents have spoken of the terrifying moment armed police stormed their ‘quiet’ Doncaster street to arrest two suspected gun-wielding thugs.

Neighbours on Poplar Grove in Conisbrough watched in disbelief as more than a dozen police officers along with police cars, riot vans and 4X4s descended upon the street.

NDFP Incident Poplar Grove Conisborough.

NDFP Incident Poplar Grove Conisborough.

Two men, aged 33 and 38, were arrested following the dramatic stand-off on Tuesday night, which is believed to be linked to a raid at a convenience store earlier the same evening.

One woman, who lives nearby, said she was alerted to the drama by a phone call just before 5.45pm.

She said: “My daughter and my niece, who are both seven years old, were playing outside at the time.

“I went out and saw police at the end of the street. I got the kids inside and then went back out to see what was going on.

“I saw the police going into the house in question with guns, they were in there for about 45 minutes in total.

“At about 5.50pm they cordoned the street off. They weren’t letting anyone in or out. There were about 16 police officers. There were also four police cars, two blue riot vans and two big land rovers.”

The woman said the first suspect was brought out of the house in handcuffs just after 6pm.

She said: “My daughter was screaming when she saw the police with guns.

“About 10 minutes after that it was all over.

“It was scary to think that they most likely ran past my daughter and my niece. It’s such a quiet street, we’ve not had anything like this before.”

The stand-off was reportedly linked to a raid at the Premier shop on Chestnut Grove on the same evening.

A police spokesman said: “Officers were called to a food store in Conisbrough to reports that two men were making threats, causing damage and one was carrying a gun.

“The men were reported to have left the store and a search of the area was carried out which led to a property in Poplar Grove, which was then contained by specialist officers.

“One man was arrested immediately and a second was negotiated out of the property after engaging with officers at the scene.”

The men, who were arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage and possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence, are now in police custody.

Anyone with information should contact 101 quoting incident number 722 of October 13, 2015.