Two Doncaster men banned from games after Doncaster Rovers v Scunthorpe violence

Two Doncaster men have been banned from attending football matches after a brawl broke out between Doncaster Rovers and Scunthorpe United fans before a game.

Wednesday, 19th May 2021, 11:03 am

A total of eight United and Rovers fans have been banned for a total of 29 years after the fight behind the Blue Bell pub in Deyne Avenue, Scunthorpe on August 14, 2018.

Luke Hughesman, 21, of Dixon Crescent, Doncaster and Adam Sheeham, 22, of Woodlands Road were among those sentenced.

Daniel Osborne, 25, of Ashby High Street, Scunthorpe, Owen Osborne, 20, of Ashby High Street, Scunthorpe, Connor Barker, 24, of Merlin Road, Scunthorpe, Joshua Gunn, 21, of Gainsborough, Owen Gilliland, 20, of St Peters Avenue in Scunthorpe and Kyle Masson, 26, of Middlelane in Rotherham were all sentenced at Grimsby Crown Court for affray.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The men were banned after a game between Scunthorpe United and Doncaster Rovers.

Owen Osborne was handed a 12-month community order, Daniel Osborne and Barker a three month sentence suspended for two years, Sheeham a 15 month sentence suspended for two years, Gunn a nine month sentence suspended for two years, Masson, a 13 month sentence suspended for two years, Hughesman a 11 month sentence suspended for two years and Gilliland a 13 month sentence suspended for two years.

Chief Superintendent Christine Wilson of Humberside Police said: "Attending football matches should be an enjoyable time for everyone, and it's a shame that a small number of people behave like this.

"This isn't the behaviour of a true football supporter and I'm pleased to see the outcome. Many hours at a time was taken by a dedicated team of police officers and staff to achieve these results today, and I am really proud of them.

"I also want to take this opportunity to remind people that this is behaviour that will not be tolerated and is not acceptable.

"The actions taken by the men on this day were dangerous and foolish. Our priority is to always ensure the safety of everyone who comes to watch their team play.

"Supporting your local team should be fun and a time you can share with your family and friends."

The case of a ninth man, Connor Akers, has been transferred to Nottingham Crown Court.

Rovers won the match 2-1.