Spate of chimney fires in Doncaster

Firefighters are urging Doncaster people to ensure their chimneys are swept, after attending seven chimney fires across South Yorkshire over the weekend.

None of the incidents caused property damage, but they caused considerable inconvenience to the home owners, and occupied the fire service for up to four hours at a time.

Three of the seven fires occurred in Doncaster between 7.30pm on Friday evening and yesterday, in Bawtry Road, Bessacarr; New Road, Branton; and Alverley View, Balby, possibly as people lit their fires for the first time this winter due to the cold temperatures.

The incidents included traditional open fires, wood burning stoves and gas fires, with embers becoming stuck in an unswept chimney or, in one case, an incorrectly fitted flue.

Firefighters put out the fires from the grate using backpacks filled with water; and, in two cases, had to request an aerial appliance to attack the fire from the roof.

A South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue spokesman said: “We would strongly advise people to get their chimney swept before lighting their fires. Winter definitely arrived this weekend and we all needed that extra warmth, but we also want to ensure that everyone keeps their loved ones, property and Christmas presents safe this month.”