A number of Mercedes Sprinter Vans have been stolen from across the Yorkshire and Humber Region and Humberside Police are urging owners of this type of vehicle to be vigilant.
Officers are asking for the public to report any suspicious activity right away in order to try and prevent further incidents.
People can help themselves by taking a few steps that will reduce the chances of their vehicles being targeted.
These preventative methods include:
• Ensuring the vans are locked - never leave doors or windows insecure even if only leaving the vehicle for a minute.
• Always try to park in a well-lit, open location preferably with CCTV coverage or with natural surveillance.
• Consider fitting a steering lock to vehicle.
• Don’t leave any valuables in your car and never leave items on display.
• If possible work vans should be emptied before being left unattended overnight.
The public should call the police if they see people acting suspiciously near vans in their neighbourhood. They can do this by calling 999 if there is a van theft in progress or 101 in a non-emergency or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.