Men jailed for doorstep killing of Wath man

Tyron Woodhead, of wath, was awarded �400 by a judge after restraining a man who was later charged with murder. (picture: MARIE CALEY S2165MC)
Tyron Woodhead, of wath, was awarded �400 by a judge after restraining a man who was later charged with murder. (picture: MARIE CALEY S2165MC)

TWO men have been jailed for a total of 46 years for killing a father in a doorstep shooting at his home during a botched robbery.

Nathan Wingfield, 23, originally from Rotherham, and Stephen Rodgers, 30, originally from Thurnscoe, were caged after they pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of have-a-go-hero Wath man Tyron Woodhead.

Convicted - Nathan Wingfield.

Convicted - Nathan Wingfield.

Wingfield was sentenced to 20 years for manslaughter and five years in prison for robbery. Rodgers received a 21 year jail term for manslaughter.

The pair, of no fixed abode, were sentenced today, Wednesday, at Sheffield Crown Court.

Mr Woodhead, a 42-year-old delivery driver, was shot in the stomach at his Doncaster Road home on September 20 last year and died a month later in hospital.

After the hearing, Detective Superintendent Matt Fenwick, the investigating officer, said: “This is a tragic case where a mother, son, brother and father have lost a loved one. This case shows exactly how criminal acts, particularly involving the use of violence, can go so very wrong.

Convicted - Stephen Rodgers.

Convicted - Stephen Rodgers.

“I would like to thank the Woodhead family and the local community for the strength and support that they have shown through this difficult and traumatic time.”

At an earlier hearing Wingfield and Rodgers admitted being part of a three man gang which planned to rob Mr Woodhead – but claimed they never knew their accomplice was armed with a gun.

A third man was arrested, but never charged.

Wingfield confessed to carrying a knife at the time, while Rodgers admitted having an axe.

The court heard a scuffle had broken out on the doorstep, during which a gun was fired, but Wingfield and Rodgers denied responsibility for the shooting.

The hearing was told the third man could have been carrying the gun used in the attack.

Mr Woodhead was hailed a hero when he dragged a knife-wielding thug off a woman while she was being attacked in the street by a former boyfriend in 2006.

He was driving through Wath when he jumped out of his lorry and dragged attacker Philip Stier off 39-year-old mother-of-five Doreen Corbett.

She later died from her injuries after never regaining consciousness. Stier was jailed for 17 years after admitting murder.