Finders keepers for lost property items

Superintendent Rob Odell.
Superintendent Rob Odell.

PEOPLE who find lost property are being urged to hang onto it and call the new police non-emergency line.

South Yorkshire Police is asking people to call 101 and report the found item to officers, rather than having to make a trip to their nearest police station to drop it in.

Chief superintendent Rob Odell, head of the criminal justice administration department said: “We are still interested in found property, but our message to the public is to hold onto the item and call 101 to report it.

“Our new approach to dealing with found property will not only improve the service to the public but also save the Force money, as the storage and disposal of found property can be costly. “This comes at a time when the police are facing budget reductions and we have to prioritise our money into frontline policing.”

Once the property have been reported to the police, the finder will be advised whether to hold onto it for two weeks or whether it needs to be collected by police - for example a bank card or something illegal or dangerous.

If the owner is not located in two weeks the finder will be given the option to keep or dispose of it themselves.

Other forces such as Devon and Cornwall and Sussex Police have adopted similar methods to deal with found property.