Driver, 20, jailed after leading police on six mile chase through Doncaster: VIDEO
A 20-year-old driver who led police on a six mile chase through Doncaster and Rotherham has been jailed – and officers have released a video of the dramatic pursuit.
Motorist Corey Gerrard failed to stop for traffic officers and has now been sentenced to time behind bars and banned from driving following the pursuit.
Gerrard, of Howard Road, Maltby was spotted by traffic officers on May 22 last year in Edlington.
Investigating Officer Sam Clifford, said the silver Volkswagen Passat failed to stop for officers and a pursuit commenced into Maltby for over six miles.
He said: “During the pursuit, Gerrard drove at speed, through red lights and was over taking other drivers dangerously.
“To help bring the car to a stop, assisting officers deployed a stop stick, which was effective and caused damage to Gerrard’s tyres.
“As he continued to drive with deflated tyres, he collided with a Vauxhall Corsa, which then collided with a stationary vehicle. The occupants of the Corsa suffered minor injuries.
“He finally came to stop outside Maltby Police Station on Byford Road after crashing into road signs.
“He then attempted to outrun officers by fleeing down the embankment close to the road.
“Officers utilised their drone and quickly detained and arrested Gerrard. He was tested at the road side for alcohol and drugs and tested positive for cannabis.”
Gerard appeared at Sheffield Crown Court last week, after being charged with various driving offences, including dangerous driving, driving without insurance, driving while under the influence of drugs and failing to stop for officers.
He was sentenced to six months in prison and was banned from driving for three years and six months.
PC Clifford added: “Gerrard not only put himself and officers in danger during the pursuit, but innocent pedestrians and road users around him.
“The consequences of his actions could have been very different for those in the Vauxhall Corsa, which he collided with.
“For over three years our roads will hopefully be a safer place without Gerrard on them.”