Doncaster woman who abused police suffered booze-related “four-year meltdown”

A Doncaster woman who suffered a booze-related “four-year meltdown” that resulted in a prison sentence is trying to turn her life around, a court has heard.

Rebecca Taylor, aged 37, of Queen's Crescent, Bawtry, argued with police and refused to provide a sample of breath after her car was stopped on Newcastle Avenue, Worksop, on July 28, last year, said prosecutor Anne-Marie Pierriepont.

"She became uncooperative and ripped the ticket from the machine," she said. "She told officers: ‘You stitched me up.’"

Three days later she argued with fellow residents at the Framework hostel on Potter Street, Worksop, and police were called.

Newcastle Avenue, Worksop

On October 10, Taylor was arrested again after swearing and challenging a woman to a fight, and on October 23, for repeatedly kicking and banging on the police station door.

Ian Pridham, mitigating, said she only came before the courts in 2019, after her long term relationship became unstable and "she coped with it by drinking."

Mansfield magistrates heard the social services became involved in her life and this "had a spiralling effect on her mental health and increased her alcohol consumption."

Her behaviour deteriorated and she began harrassing her neighbours when she lived in the Harworth area, Mr Pridham said.

Read the latest stories from the magistrates court.

“Matters escalated and she was jailed. She was released on July 10, last year, with nowhere to live during lockdown.

"She had still not resolved her drink problems and found herself in a hostel with people who have drink problems."

But the court heard that Taylor has since settled in a flat her mother owns, she has not had a drink since Christmas and she has secured a cleaning job.

“She is coming out of the other side of a four-year meltdown,” he said.

Taylor admitted failing to provide a specimen, using threatening or abusive behaviour and two counts of being drunk and disorderly.

She received a 12-month community order, with ten rehabilitation days. She was fined £100, and ordered to pay £160 court costs.

She was banned from driving for 24 months, but she was offered a rehabilitation course which will cut the disqualification by 183 days if she completes it before June 2022.

Editor’s message: In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper. We stand together. Liam Hoden, editor.