Angler: ‘I’m lucky to be alive after Doncaster riverside attack’

Angler Daniel Cook after he was attacked at Sprotbrough Falls
Angler Daniel Cook after he was attacked at Sprotbrough Falls

A Doncaster angler who was strangled and had white spirit poured down his throat during a terrifying attack says he is lucky to be alive.

Daniel Cook, 25, was fishing alone in the River Don near Sprotbrough Falls - a popular location for night fishing - when a hot wire was pulled round his throat.

The men started strangling Daniel, poured a glue like substance on his hair on face and poured white spirit down his throat.

Speaking about the ordeal that happened at 11.35pm Daniel said: “If I hadn’t managed to pull forward and get into the river I would’ve been dead.

“I felt the wire round by neck and I could breath they kept tightening it, I didn’t know what it was but they starting pouring something on my head, I was trying to struggle but couldn’t get free, it was only when they released the grip a bit so they could pour white spirit down my throat that I managed to move forward a bit.

“They ripped my top as I was trying to get away and booted me in the Don.

“I stayed in there and they were watching me from the side, I stayed in there a good three or four minutes until they walked away.

“The men were speaking in foreign accents but I didn’t recognise what language it was, one of them was laughing.

“I didn’t get a good look at them.”

Mr Cook is angry that police are treating the incident as an assault rather than attempted murder.

“I don’t know how they can say it’s an assault was strangled and booted in the river and they are saying it’s an assault.

“If I hadn’t managed to move forward away from them they would have carried on until I was dead. They didn’t rob me, I don’t know who they were and there was no reason for the attack, as far as I know they just wanted to hurt me, you don’t just attack someone like that unless you want to cause them serious injury or kill them.

“I don’t know what to think my family have been saying if I had died it would have been treated as a murder so I don’t know why I should be punished because instead of freezing in shock I actually somehow managed to get away.

“I’m just shocked by what’s happened and all my family and friends are disgusted.

“I want people to be aware that these people are out there.”

Mr Cook has been left with a red mark around his neck and had to shave his hair that covered in the glue substance folowing the attack on Sunday August 23.

“I’ve got a good family and they’ve been really supportive but I’ve not really been on my own since it happened, I’m sure when I am it will be something that will play on my mind.

“I don’t think I’ll be going night fishing again after this.”

DCI Andy Hotckiss confirmed the incident was being treated as an assault and investigations were ongoing.

He added: “This is an isolated incident, a one off, we want to reassure people that it is a safe area.”

Police are asking anyone who witnessed the incident or has any information which may assist the investigation should contact 101 quoting incident number 1392 of Sunday 23 August.