Conisbrough man rushed to hospital after kitchen fire

Fire Engine on call
Fire Engine on call

A CONISBROUGH man has been rescued by fire crews after a blaze in his flat in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Firefighters found the man, in his 40s, slumped on the settee, unconscious and not breathing at his flat on Windmill Avenue.

They carried him out to be treated by paramedics and he was taken to Rotherham District General hospital.

Group manager Ade Robinson said the fire was a serious one.

He said: “It started from a pan being left on the hob and catching fire. It then spread to the cooker hood, cupboards and microwave oven.

“Firefighters had to use a sledgehammer to get into the flat, and they did very well to get the occupier out so quickly. It was a second floor flat, and the staircase was very tight.”

The kitchen was seriously damaged in the fire and the rest of the house suffered smoke damage.